“Birdies for Charity” is a program of the John Deere Classic PGA golf Tournament held each July in Silvis, IL.
Charities, such as the Sisters of St. Francis of Dubuque, Iowa, solicit pledges for each birdie – a score of one under par – made by the pros’ on each hole of the golf tournament on Wednesday through Sunday. The number of Birdies the last five years ranged from 1,863 to 2,124. Thus, a pledge of one penny ($.01) per birdie became a donation of $18.63 to $21.24. Direct donations may also be made, rather than making a pledge.
Participating charities receive every single penny of the donations from this program, plus a percent match from the John Deere Classic which has historically been in excess of 5%.
A guess may be made on the total number of birdies of the tournament, making the participant eligible for significant prizes.
Businesses can contribute through the “Charity Partner Program” and receive on-course recognition and passes for the tournament. In recent years donations to the Sisters of St. Francis have helped fund the following:
- 2003 Handicapped Elevator
- 2004 In-house TV circuit system
- 2005 Education/formation costs for newest members
- 2006 Replacement of computers for retired Sisters Computer Room
- 2007 Age appropriate flexibility and strengthening exercise equipment
- 2008 Mini-bus for transportation of Sisters
- 2009 Height adjustable side-entry tubs for the infirmary
- 2010 Bedroom furniture for the new Holy Family Hall
- 2011 New chapel furniture for Clare House
- 2012 Formation expense for new members in Honduras
- 2013 Therapy tub for Francis House
- 2014 Portable ice cream machine, lawn furniture, mattresses
For further information or to make a gift, contact:
Sr. Cathy (Kate) Katoski, OSF
President and Director of Development
Sisters of St. Francis
3390 Windsor Ave, Dubuque, IA 52001
563-583-9786 ext. 6174 (phone)