The Canticle of Creation Center (CoCC) is a new pilot endeavor of the Sisters of St. Francis of Dubuque initiated in 2017 as one way to share our Franciscan legacy of striving to live in right relationship with all creation.
Canticle of Creation Center:
An Earth Sanctuary of Solitude and Study
Honoring our Franciscan heritage that All is Gift and in a spirit of gratitude, we are committed to live in right relationship with all creation, by:
- Cherishing and caring for the land entrusted to us
- Inspiring a deepening awareness and appreciation of the natural beauty of Earth, our Common Home
- Strengthening awareness of the interconnectedness of all life
- Fostering learning, reflection, respite and healing through individual and shared experiences with creation
- Collaborating wherever possible, modeling nature’s web of interrelationships
The CoCC is a place for all ages. Some of our offerings will include
- Workshops, Speakers, Presentations, Lectures
- Day camps for youth
- Mindfulness practices
- Prairie walks
- Mini science lab experiences
- Practicum for college environmental science students
- Seasonal rituals/activities to connect people to
Calendar of Events
May 19, 2018 – Native American Ten Commandments – Part 5; 5-part series led by Duane Short; 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. $15 offering.
June 21, 2018 – Summer Solstice: Drumming Circle – 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. – Native drums, being made in a circle, represent the earth and life. The beating drum is compared to the beating of a human heart and is said to represent the heartbeat of the earth. Celebrate the Summer Solstice – the Earth’s Rhythms – with us in a Drumming Circle. Some drums will be provided, but if you have your own, feel free to bring it along. All ages welcome; children should be accompanied by an adult. Free will offering. Register by June 15.
July 21, 2018 – Seasons In the Prairie – Part 2: Explore & Contemplate the beauty of the Prairie in Summer with Sister Meg Gemar, OSF; 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. $15 offering per session or $50 if registering for all sessions.
September 22, 2018 – Autumnal Equinox
October 13, 2018 – Seasons In the Prairie – Part 3: Explore & Contemplate the beauty of the Prairie in Autumn with Sister Meg Gemar, OSF; 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. $15 offering per session or $50 if registering for all sessions; 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
December 21, 2018 – Winter Solstice
January 12, 2019 – Seasons In the Prairie: Part 4: Explore & Contemplate the beauty of the Prairie in Winter with Sister Meg Gemar, OSF